Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Catechism: a new unexpected favorite

Lately my awesome group at church has been digging into new study for this semester. Something I must confess sounded a trifle "different" when I first heard about it. It didn't take long for me to realize that I was proven w.r.o.n.g.

We are embarking on a fascinating study of the New City Catechism. The purpose of a catechism is to give a complete answer to the founding questions of Christianity-so that not only do we understand what we believe, but why we believe it and where in God's Word the reasons can be proven.

What is our only hope in life and death?
Answer: That we are not our own but belong, body and soul, both in life and death, to God and to our Savior Jesus Christ.

So far, I have been deeply pushed to question my reasoning for believing what I do. And it is refreshing to find all the ways I haven't even looked at many of the questions to be found in this catechism. If you desire to know God in a deeper, complete relationship, and to develop a sturdy foundation for your beliefs, I suspect you'll find the New City Catechism to be what I claim...and chances are, even better. But I warn you: this is not an easy study. Prepare to be challenged, every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to have the opportunity to hear your thoughts, and get to know you a little better :)