Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Of Love


It’s a question I have considered quite often, and one I think that God has been asking me. "Am I a friend worth having?" Because He has made us such relational beings, people are important to us—or should be. Nowadays, as we as a culture grow more self centered, me-minded and focused on technology, I think it has become easy to blur the definition of friendship. To many, true friendship is nonexistent. Perhaps a thought, certainly not an action.

Here is what most consider the definition of friendship, as found in the Bible…

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13 (KJV)

Before, I’ve thought that it probably referred to the degree of loyalty in one who would sacrifice his life (die) for his friend. That was the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus for us, whom He has called His friends.

Yet I believe that it’s not just death this verse is talking about. It’s life. If I’m truly a friend, that means I will lay down the very substance of my life; my time, resources, dreams, opinions, preferences, and desires; if that sacrifice will help another. It means I will want what is best for them. We will share our lives, because I value their participation in it, and because I want to go through life hand-in-hand with them. It means I will be God’s tool of edification, encouragement, and support no matter where it takes me. A true friend will lay down his or her life and all that it contains for another person’s good. True friends will not abandon the relationship when it gets difficult…the trials will draw them closer.

Friendship is a sacred gift that should not be abused or taken lightly. I pray that God will teach me to be a friend worth having.

2 comments:

  1. Petra,
    You are a delight! And you have made me ponder what is happening to people and families~ how we use our time. It is sad to me that many lives are devoid of real friendship. Our closet friendships are through our church, but even these dear friendships are not as free since we all live a ways from each other...one is 2 hours north. I am thanking the Lord for our family and that we are very close. These are excellent questions and deserve our deeper processing in light of the growing shallowness in the world.
    I send love to you, dear friend, even though it is over the internet. May we be grounded in Jesus as sisters and in Heaven we will walk beside Him and that will overshadow everything else! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline,

    You are a true delight as well. Thank you for commenting. It is sad that real friendship has dropped to the wayside in many lives. Unfortunately, those without its sweet touch often are so without real fault of their own. Selfishness, gossip, and deceitful motives are hurting hearts and tumbling relationships to the ground every day.

    Love in Christ to you, too! I'm keeping you in my prayers and hope that the relationships your family has will be encouragements to all involved. May we always, as children of the Most High, reflect Him.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to have the opportunity to hear your thoughts, and get to know you a little better :)